Congratulations! You have taken the leap into the wonderful and liberating world of Cosmetic Tattoos. The information provided to you before your treatment explained in detail what would happen before, during and after your procedure. And now this Client Home Care information is provided to you to help you be aware of the steps that are needed to look after your investment.
The benefits of having a Cosmetic Tattoo procedure are as many and varied as the people who have them, and in a few days you will love the results and wonder why you waited so long to have it done.
After the healing process has finished, and your Fine-Tuning Appointment has been completed, you will feel happy and confident knowing that you look great. Enjoy your new look.
What to Expect in the Immediate Future
- When first done, Eyebrows, Eyeliner, Lips, Beauty Spots and scars will be much darker in colour for up to 2 weeks after the treatment while the initial healing process takes place.
- The total healing process takes about 6 weeks, at which time the true colour of the tattoo is evident.
- Colours will appear brighter and more sharply defined immediately following the procedure. Between 3 to 14 days they will soften and lighten. Be patient, even if you think too much colour has been lost. Wait 6 weeks to see the true colour, as it seems to take on new strength, and it is only after 6 weeks that your fine-tuning can be done.
- We are unable to predict the longevity of colour retention in the skin.
- Every person’s skin responds differently to these treatments, and this information acts as a guideline only. However, it should be remembered that in most cases these guidelines give successful results if followed.
Your Tattoo is now in your hands
- After your treatment you will receive a Home Care Pack containing damp swabs and cotton buds. There is no after-pain following your treatment. To help you take the best possible care of your new tattoo you are able to purchase a 5g tube of Stratamed from me.
• Stratamed is the only product I recommend for healing. It is applied twice daily, for 3 weeks, after gently cleansing the new tattoo.
• Please DO NOT use Bepanthan, Vaseline or Paw Paw Ointment.
- The area where the tattoo has been applied must be kept moist for successful healing and to avoid scabbing.
- Scabbing will result in excessive loss of pigment.
- Skin can take anywhere from 21 to 36 days to repair itself using Stratamed. It will nourish and repair the skin, and protect it from infections.
- NO Make-Up is to be applied to eyebrows or eyeliner area for at least 2 days.
- NO picking at any scaling that may occur — let the scales fall off naturally — picking could cause scarring.
On the First Day …
- Bath or shower as normal — NO SOAP or CLEANSERS on the treated area for three days, as they can be detrimental to the bonding process that must take place for the pigment to stabilise in the dermis.
- Clean the area with warm running water using a clean cloth or cotton wool, pat dry, and apply a thin smear of Stratamed with a clean cotton tip.
- Cold compresses or ice packs will help bring the swelling down (if evident). Don’t use ice if lips are still numb.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION — Protecting your tattoo …
- Exposure to Sun, Salt Chlorine & Chemicals
- Exposure to the sun over time can cause fading and colour change.
- Wear a sun block, or products containing UVA/UVB blocks, and wear sunglasses to protect your eyeliner.
- Salt or chlorinated water can cause a bleaching effect – it is recommended the tattoo be covered with Vaseline.
- Chemicals of any kind could interfere with the healing and the colour.
- Glycolic Acid and face peel products, including RetinA, must be kept completely away from the Tattoo as continued use could lighten colours.
- If you are having laser resurfacing or laser hair removal after your Cosmetic Tattoo, please inform that laser operator of your Cosmetic Tattoo procedure.
- Hitting the tattoo with the laser beam could darken it, or it may turn grey or black.
Call me immediately if any of the following appear on your tattooed areas
- any prolonged discomfort, localised pain, long-term swelling and/or unusual redness or lumps surrounding the treated area may be an indication of any infection. If you suspect and infection has occurred, contact your doctor.
Immediately after Treatment …
- The tattoo will weep a clear fluid (this is normal) for the next 24 hours … wipe them with a gentle but firm press to remove the fluid. If it is not removed a crust or scab will build up.
- Then …
- Apply Stratamed 2 times a day for the next two weeks; then twice a day for the next 3 weeks until the skin is smooth. Less, more often, is best – excessive amounts will not give the best results. I don't recommend Bepanthen, as it can produce a poor result and unevenness in the final colour as the skin cannot breathe.
- Swelling is minimal with most clients, and will have disappeared within 24 hours. In some cases it may last around the eye area for up to 3 days, but will not prevent working or socialising.
- You will experience a slight tight feeling over and around the tattooed area; it can feel just a little tender.
- A slight crusting may form, and between 3 - 14 days flaking off will take some colour with it.
- Once healed, the result will, in most cases, resemble a softly drawn pencil (depending on colours selected)
- The longevity of lighter colours chosen for cosmetic tattoos is substantially less than stronger darker pigments. In these lighter colours, a retouch of colour may be required more frequently, approximately every 15 months.
- If you an eligible candidate for hair-strokes (feathering) and you've elected to have this treatment, your level of expectation must be clearly set that the colour generally will not last longer than 6 months.
Immediately after Treatment …
- Swelling varies with each person. With most people the eyes can look like you have been crying!
- Generally, no after care product is necessary. I apply Polyvisc medicated eye ointment sparingly immediately after the treatment. You can elect to use it once a day, if you find the tattooed area feels tight and dry. Just a slight smear, as you feel you need it. Less, more often, is best – excessive amounts will not give the best results. DO NOT use Vaseline.
- Swelling/ puffiness in minimal, and generally lasts 1 - 3 days. There could be also be a slight swelling around the eye area, which is hardly noticeable, except by you!
- Make-up (and contact lenses) can be worn the next day.
- There is hardly any noticeable healing with eyeliner treatments.
LipLine, LipBlend, Full Lip
Immediately after Treatment …
- The tattoo will weep a clear fluid (this is normal) for at least 1 hour, sometimes longer … wipe with a gentle but firm press to remove the fluid. Leaving this to dry will cause scabbing and a very uncomfortable feeling.
- Apply Stratamed as needed to keep lips moist, until lips are healed. Immediately after treatment your lips may still be numb from the topical anaesthetic … wait until the numbness subsides, then the use of an ice-pack will help relieve the swelling and tenderness. Sucking on ice cubes helps enormously.
- If you are prone to cold sores it is advisable that you take L-Lysine tablets, and Zovirax alternately with the Stratamed. Continue using Zovirax until your fine-tuning appointment in 6-8 weeks. The 2nd & 3rd days are the most crucial days for an attack to launch. Some clients have said that using ice on the lips for those 3days helps prevent an outbreak.
- Your lips will be swollen overnight; sometimes for 48 hours; the fuller your lips naturally, the more evident this will be.
- For the LipLine there will be a slight tightness & dryness on the line area, but this isn’t obvious and you can wear lipstick within one hour. For Full Lip, the tightness and dryness will persist for up to a week. Keep them moist constantly with Stratamed, and alternate with a good quality lip balm.
- Between 2 days and 2 weeks after the treatment the colour may appear very pale, dull or light, and you may think the tattoo has been unsuccessful. Be patient. This is normal as the skin heals. The true colour will be evident in 4-6 weeks.
- Around Day 5 the worst of the chapping will be mostly over. Around Day 6 the lip colour will appear softer.
In fact, the colour may appear pale or frosty for the next 5 days of so. This is perfectly normal. It is vital to remember to wait the full 4-6 weeks before the final lip colour is evident.
Areola and Nipple recreations ...
- Immediately after the treatment Stratamed will be applied to the treated area, and covered with a nursing pad.
- Change the dressing the evening of your treatment - have a warm shower first - gently remove any discharge (weeping, clear fluid) from the tattooed area with a clean damp soft cotton pad - NO SOAP OR CLEANSERS on tattooed area.
- Apply a THIN SMEAR of Stratamned, and reapply a fresh Nursing Pad (or Swisspers Round make-up remover pads - keep in place with micro pore tape). You may find wearing a boob tube to bed is useful. You will need to do this for a couple of days only.
- Apply a THIN SMEAR of Stratamed twice a day for 3 days, and then twice a day for up to 2 weeks.
- Don't allow the area to scab - although some slight flaking is normal - no picking!
- Stay out of Swimming Pools, the ocean, saunas and spas for 2 weeks.
- Immediately after the treatment the tattooed are will appear very dark. Your can expect to lose between 40-60% of the colour. The final colour will become apparent in about 4-6 weeks' time.
Removal / Lightening
- Apply Stratamed only once today, and then leave to dry out. In this case you want to encourage scabbing to help lift the colour out.
- Multiple treatments are necessary for lightening of colour. The colour is never totally removed.
- If the area feels extremely dry and uncomfortable, apply a smear of soothing cream.
- Sometimes the lightening/removal procedure can cause slight indentations, whitening and smoother texture to the area treated.
- Keep covered with bandaids, Glad Wrap or surgical gauze / micro tape for up to 48 hours.
- Keep moist with Stratamed twice a day.
- Shower twice a day, wash and rinse the area, pat dry with a clean towel, apply cream and a clean dressing.
- Keep covered for 2 days (if possible), applying a THIN SMEAR of Stratamed once a day for 2 weeks.
- Do not expose to sunlight, dirt, pet hair, swimming pools, lake or ocean water, hot tubs, dirty clothes, dirty bed linen, etc until the tattoo has fully healed.
- Usually no return visit is necessary. But remember, it is vitally important not to let it dry out for the first few days as scabbing may occur, resulting in loss of colour.
Enjoy your new tattoo, and the joy of waking up made-up!